Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox and PS3 Gaming Community for adults 21 and over

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SRT Speed Racer
Admin
Admin
SRT Speed Racer

E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview Empty
PostSubject: E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview   E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:04 am

It takes a brave developer (or a foolhardy one) to mess with the formula for a console first-person shooter control scheme. So familiar and ingrained is that formula, a developer better have a good reason to arrange its controls otherwise. Codemasters' Guildford Studio is one such brave or foolhardy outfit. Its good reason is the cover-lean mechanic in lively, arcadey shooter Bodycount.

With this mechanic, the left trigger plants you where you stand, rather than giving you the traditional view down the sights. Then, once you are locked in place, the right analog stick controls how you duck and weave on the spot. Instead of crouching or standing up with a button press, you twitch the stick up or down. Instead of full-on strafing left or right around the edge of cover, you move the stick left or right to lean either way.

The idea is that you plant yourself behind cover--say, a low wall--and use the cover-lean system to open up new lines of sight on the bad guys, letting you peek out from behind the wall rather than pop out from behind it. Though it takes time to get to grips with (and to shake the Call of Duty muscle memory), it feels like a neat idea successfully executed. It won't be to all tastes, but to the studio's credit, it doesn't feel like novelty for novelty's sake.

Andrew Wilson, who took up Stuart Black's mantle when he left Bodycount and Codemasters, is aware the unconventional mechanic is a gamble. But as the game's summer release date draws near, it's time for the studio to have the "courage of [its] convictions," as he puts it. And with "the best gun experience," says the game director, also up Bodycount's sleeve, he is quietly confident. Enough of quirky cover schemes, then. What makes a "best gun experience"?

"It's all about the effect the bullets have on the world around you," says Wilson, describing the shreddable cover that keeps you on your toes in the game's diverse environments. It's this exaggerated destructibility that smashes the chest-high wall you were hiding behind at an alarming rate, and that means many walls don't take a heavy weapon to demolish; a standard-issue assault rifle will do the trick. That's not to say explosives won't be readily available. Mines and grenades were plentiful in our hands-on. In a fun touch, grenades can be primed to explode on impact with a double tap of the right bumper--like having a grenade launcher permanently at your fingertips.

The game's story has the protagonist, an ex-army type, drafted into a private military agency known as The Network and, in his new gig, applying his lethal expertise in conflicts around the world. These are wholly fictional conflicts; in its mechanics and story alike, Bodycount has arcadey sensibilities and no designs on being a modern military sim.

Source
Back to top Go down
https://gamershub.forumotion.com
gammerthumbs
Admin
Admin
gammerthumbs

PostSubject: Re: E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview   E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 am

Looks like a mix of FPS and 3rd person shooter. I like the shredable cover idea.
Back to top Go down
SRT Speed Racer
Admin
Admin
SRT Speed Racer

PostSubject: Re: E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview   E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 12:13 pm

I thought the same Gammer. I like the almost "cartoon-ish" look that some of the games have been taking here lately.
Back to top Go down
https://gamershub.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview   E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

E3 2011: Bodycount Hands-On Preview
Page 1 of 1